There are different types of worms that cause complaints in humans. The most common worm infections are pinworms, in addition there are other worm species such as roundworms and tapeworms.
What are pinworms
Pinworms are small, white worms. See in the stool in the child. Children can get pinworms because they swallow the eggs, which can be found in raw vegetables or meat, for example. It also happens that children get these worms by playing outside. Eggs are so small you can't see them.
What are the symptoms of pinworms?
The most common complaint is itching. At night, the worms come out through your child's anus to lay eggs. This causes itching and scratching can inflame the skin around the anus. The eggs remain on the hands, so children can reinfect themselves by putting fingers in their mouths.
Round worms and tapeworms
Tapeworms are rare. Roundworms are usually seen in the intestines of dogs and cats. Here too, the infection often goes unnoticed by swallowing the eggs. The eggs can be found in dog faeces, uncovered sandboxes and sometimes on raw, unwashed vegetables. Tapeworm eggs are found in raw meat such as filet americain, raw ground beef and undercooked steak. With roundworms, you will find slightly larger, cream-colored worms in the stool. You can also see white pieces of tapeworm in the stool.
How to prevent and cure worm infections
Good hygiene is important. If you follow the tips below, the pinworms will disappear automatically because your child will no longer ingest eggs.
- Have your child wash their hands after going to the toilet, after playing outside and before eating.
- Hang up a clean towel in the toilet every day.
- Give your child a nail brush.
- Have your child clip their nails short.
- Explain that your child should not scratch the anus. If it does happen, it should immediately wash its hands.
- Give your child clean, separate washcloths for the lower and upper body on a daily basis.
- Have your child put on clean underwear every day.
- Clean the toilet seat, flush button and doorknobs regularly.
- Wash vegetables well and make sure meat is well done.
- You can possibly buy a cure against pinworms at the drugstore or pharmacy. Be well informed about the resources and the dosage for your child.
- Does your dog have roundworms? Then buy a cure in the pet shop.
When do I go to the doctor? If your child does not get rid of the pinworms due to the hygiene tips, you can discuss with your doctor what you can do best . If your child has roundworms or tapeworms, it is better to go to the doctor immediately. More information can be found at Thuisarts.nl https://www.thuisarts.nl/wormen